SHRONELL

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SHRONELL, or SHRONEHILL, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Tipperary; containing 1006 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2747 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; a portion is arable, but the greater part pasture. Ballinard is the residence of W. Chadwick, Esq.; Shronehill, of Clement Sadler, Esq.; Damerville, of Austin Cooper Chadwick, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. M. Clarke.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £125; there are 5 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The church was built about 1808, and the tower by aid by a loan of £300, in 1818, from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a school-house, in which, however, no school is kept; it was partly built by the late Lady Caroline Damer, who also endowed it with an acre of land. Damer's Court was built, about a century since, by John Damer, Esq.; it afterwards passed to the Earl of Dorchester, then to Lady Caroline Damer, his daughter and sole heir, and is now the property of the Earl of Portarlington. The mansion, which was a large and magnificent building, was taken down in 1776, and little remains but the offices, which are in a state of dilapidation.

« Shinrone | Index | Shrowl »


Library Ireland Facebook