SHANNON-BRIDGE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SHANNON-BRIDGE, a village, in the parish of CLONMACNOIS, barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S.) from Athlone; containing 559 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Shannon, and derives its name and origin from a bridge which here crosses the river and connects King's county with that of Roscommon. The bridge is a handsome structure of stone, 140 yards in length; it consists of sixteen arches, exclusive of two over a parallel canal, the roadway being level throughout. At the western or Roscommon end is a tower and battery forming a tete-du-pont, with an artillery barrack for 2 officers and 44 men, and a magazine annexed. On a rising ground in the vicinity is an advanced redoubt. The village is a station of the constabulary police, and contains one of the two R. C. chapels belonging to the district, and the parochial school.

« Shanless | Index | Shannon-Harbour »


Library Ireland Facebook