SHANKILL

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SHANKILL, a parish, in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. W.) from Elphin, on the road from Boyle to Roscommon; containing 2669 inhabitants. It comprises 4238 statute acres of land, in general good, and chiefly in pasture; there is a large portion of bog, some of which has been reclaimed, and the remainder is easily reclaimable. Limestone gravel exists in abundance, and within the limits of the parish are some quarries of excellent limestone. At Mantua is the great turlough of that name, the waters of which cover in winter an extent of about 500 acres, which in summer afford rich pasturage: the water is supplied by a subterraneous channel from a source about half a mile distant.

The seats are Mantua, the residence of O. D. J. Grace, Esq., surrounded by a well-planted and highly improved demesne; and Cherryfield, of G. Mills, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Elphin: the rectory is united to those of Kilmacumsey, Kilcorkey, Kilcola, and Creeve, together constituting the corps of the precentorship of Elphin, in the gift of the Bishop; the vicarage forms part of the union of Ardclare. The tithes, amounting to £92. 6. 2., are payable in equal portions to the rector and the vicar; and the entire tithes of the rectorial benefice amount to £207. 15. 5.: the precentor's lands comprise 102 ½ statute acres, situated near the town of Elphin, and let on lease at £55. 7. 83. per annum. The church is in ruins.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Elphin, and has a chapel at Ballyrody. In a school supported by O. D. J. Grace, Esq., and in a private school, about 90 children are educated.

« Shankill (Kilkenny) | Index | Shanless »


Library Ireland Facebook