SHANDRUM

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SHANDRUM, a parish, in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. W.) from Charleville, on the road to Newmarket; containing 4627 inhabitants. It comprises 13,363 ½ statute acres, as rated for the county cess, and valued at £11,088 per annum. The land is mostly in pasture, and there are several large dairy farms; limestone is quarried for agricultural purposes, and part of the Red Bog is within the limits of the parish. A fair is held at the village of Shandrum on May 25th and one at Newtown on Sept. 25th, for general farming stock.

The seats are Curriglass, the residence of Pierce Purcell Goold, Esq.; Shandrum House, of William Allen, Esq.; Cherry Hill, of George Harding, Esq.; and Newtown House, the property of Robert Courtenay, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £804. 19. 10. There is no church, but divine service is regularly performed at the parochial school-house, which has been erected on the glebe, near the old burial-ground.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Ballyhea, but chiefly in that of Shandrum, and contains the chapels of Shandrum and Dromina, or Cooliline. In the parochial school, supported by the rector, and in seven private schools, about 420 children are educated. At Barna was formerly a castle, of which there is now scarcely a vestige.

« Shancoe | Index | Shanid »


Library Ireland Facebook