SCURLOGSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SCURLOGSTOWN, or SCURLOCKSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER DEECE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ½ mile (E. S. E.) from Trim, on the road to Dublin, and on the river Boyne; containing 328 inhabitants. This place derives its name from William de Scurlog, who erected a castle here about 1180: the ruins of this structure exhibit a square keep of large proportions and massive strength, with circular towers at the angles, and a few apertures for the admission of light.

The parish comprises 2484 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is chiefly arable. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Trim: the rectory is impropriate in Joseph Ashe, Esq.

The tithes amount to £159. 0. 4 ½., of which £135. 0. 4 ½. is payable to the impropriator, and £24 to the curate.

In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Dunsany and Kilmessan. There are fragments of an ancient church, consisting of two rude circular arches.

« Scullogestown | Index | Scurlogstown »


Library Ireland Facebook