SCILLY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SCILLY, a village, in the parish of RINCURRAN, barony of KINSALE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, forming a suburb to the town of Kinsale; containing 814 inhabitants. It is situated on the harbour of Kinsale, and occupies the summit and side of a gentle eminence forming a peninsula projecting into the, harbour. In 1831 it contained 124 houses, since which period it has rapidly increased, and now contains nearly 200 houses, including a number of neat and commodious villas and lodges, erected for the accommodation of the numerous visiters resorting hither during the bathing season. It is so closely connected with Kinsale that it is generally considered as a part of that town. An extensive and lucrative fishery, affording employment to a large portion of the inhabitants, is carried on here. Immediately above the village are the barracks of Kinsale.

« Scheams Islands | Index | Scotshouse »


Library Ireland Facebook