SCARTAGLIN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SCARTAGLIN, a village, in the parish of CASTLE ISLAND, barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 ¾ miles from Castle Island, containing 313 inhabitants. It is situated on the new line of road recently constructed by Government, extending from Castle Island through King-William's-Town to Roskeen bridge, in the county of Cork. It crosses the Brown Flesk river near the village over a neat stone bridge; and it is in contemplation to open a road connecting this line with one lately formed by Colonel Drummond and C. Fairfield, Esq., through the adjoining parish of Ballincuslane, as far as the village of Ardnagrath. Here is a R. C. chapel belonging to the district of Castle Island, in which a school is held under the patronage of the R. C. clergyman.

« Scariff Island | Index | Scarvagh »


Library Ireland Facebook