SCARIFF ISLAND

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SCARIFF ISLAND, in the parish of KILCROHANE, barony of DUNKERRON, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. W.) from Hogs' Head, which forms the southern side of Ballinaskelligs' bay, and about the same distance (W.) from Lambs' Head, on the shore of Derrynane, on the south-western coast: it is the larger of the two called the Hog Islands, and together with the smaller one called Dinish, is held by Daniel O'Connell, Esq., M. P., from the Earl of Cork. It is inhabited by only one family, employed in the care of the cattle, sheep, &c., fed on the island. The depth of water close to these islands is 28 fathoms, and between them and Lambs' Head are several smaller ones. On the summit of Scariff are the vestiges of an ancient hermitage, or cell, which are now covered by a mound of earth and stones raised by the Trigonometrical Surveyors of Ireland. There are also some slight vestiges of a church and burial-ground on the eastern side of the island; and in another place, those of a mill, near which runs a stream of very pure water.

« Scariff | Index | Scartaglin »


Library Ireland Facebook