SANDYMOUNT

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SANDYMOUNT, a large and populous village, in that part of the parish of ST. MARY, DONNYBROOK, which is within the county of the city of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from the General Post-Office, to which it has a twopenny post: the population is returned with the parish. It is on the southern coast of the bay of Dublin, and is much resorted to in summer for sea-bathing, for which its fine sandy beach presents every facility. The village is very pretty and contains many good houses forming a square. in the centre of which is an ornamental grass-plot surrounded by iron railings: there are numerous pretty villas on the strand, for the convenience of summer visiters, whence a new road to Merrion has lately been made along the shore.

The principal seats are Lakelands, the residence of Mrs. Williamson, situated in grounds tastefully laid out and commanding fine sea and mountain views; Wilfield House, of N. Anderson, Esq.; Sandymount Castle, of R. Corbet, Esq.; and Sandymount Park, of Captain W. Dillon, whence is obtained a fine view of the bay of Dublin, with the hill of Howth, Ireland's Eye, Lambay island, the South Wall and the Pigeon House. In the village there are a parochial school, erected in 1833, and supported by subscriptions, and a female school, built and supported by the Misses Hepenstall, aided by £100 from the Lord-Lieutenant's fund. A loan fund and a Bible Association were established here in 1832; there are also a savings -bank and a lending library. A branch of the Sisters of Charity, from Stanhope-street, Dublin, established themselves in Sandymount Avenue about five years since; the inmates consist of a superioress and five nuns, who instruct about 80 children: a neat chapel attached is open to the public.

« Sandyford | Index | Santry »


Library Ireland Facebook