SANDYCOVE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SANDYCOVE, a village, in the parish of RINGRONE, barony of KINSALE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 1 ½ mile (S.) from Kinsale; containing 104 inhabitants. The village stands at the head of the little cove or bay from which it derives its name. Close adjoining is the parish church of Ringrone; near which are the ruins of Ringrone castle, built by De Courcy, in the reign of Richard II., the history of which, as connected with that powerful and noble family, is exceedingly interesting: it continues in the possession of their descendants, the Lords Kingsale, who take from it also the title of Baron.

« Sandford | Index | Sandyford »


Library Ireland Facebook