RATHSALLAGH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHSALLAGH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S.) from Dunlavan, on the road to Baltinglass; containing 271 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the western boundary of the county, and comprises 1753 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: agriculture is improving; the principal crops are oats and potatoes. It belongs entirely to E. Pennefather, Esq., whose mansion is the only gentleman's seat, though there are several respectable farm-houses. One of the largest fairs in the kingdom is held here on Sept. 4th, for horses, cattle, sheep and pigs.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Dunlavan; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin.

The tithes amount to £77. 16. 2., of which £49. 3. 10 ¼. is payable to the appropriators, and £28. 12. 3 ¾. to the vicar.

In the R. C. divisions it is also within the union or district of Dunlavan. In the demesne of Rathsallagh is a school, maintained entirely by the Pennefather family. There is an old rath on the townland of Rathsallagh.

« Rathronan (Tipperary) | Index | Rathsaran »


Library Ireland Facebook