RATHMORE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHMORE, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (S. W.) from Baltinglass, on the road from Tullow to Castle-Dermot; containing 225 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the confines of the county of Kildare, by which it is bounded on the north-west, and on the river Slaney, which forms its south-eastern boundary. As applotted under the tithe act, it comprises 2374 statute acres, the greater part of which is in meadow and pasture, and the remainder in tillage; there is a very small portion of woodland and bog. Rathmore is a station of the constabulary police. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Rathvilly: the tithes amount to £160, and there is a glebe of 13 acres.

In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Rathvilly. About 120 children are educated in a school endowed by the late Mr. Disraeli, who bequeathed £3000 for its establishment and support: the school-house is a handsome building, consisting of a centre and two wings the former being appropriated as a residence for the master and mistress, who receive £30 per ann. each, and have the use of five acres of ground rent-free.

« Rathmolion | Index | Rathmore (Kildare) »


Library Ireland Facebook