RATHMINES

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHMINES, a considerable village and suburb of Dublin, in that part of the united parishes of ST. PETER and ST. KEVIN which is in the barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, on the old road to Milltown, 2 miles (S.) from the General Post-Office: containing 1600 inhabitants. This place is chiefly noted as the scene of the celebrated battle of Rathmines, which occurred Aug. 2nd, 1649: the Marquess of Ormonde, with the royalist army, consisting of about 7000 foot and 4000 horse, had fixed his headquarters at Old Rathmines Castle (now occupied by Mr. Jackson), on taking measures to invest the city of Dublin; but an action with the garrison being brought on by an attack upon the neighbouring castle of Baggotrath, the republican soldiers gained an advantage, which they pursued with vigour, and succeeded in putting to flight the whole of the forces under the Marquess of Ormonde, with the loss on the part of the latter of 600 slain and 1800 prisoners, among whom were 300 officers: the Marquess retired to Kilkenny. From the circumstance of cannon and musket-balls, and coins of the reign of James I. being frequently ploughed up, it is conjectured that the conflict raged a considerable distance along the banks of the river Dodder.

At the corner of the Rathgar road is a station of the city police: there is a small woollen factory belonging to Messrs. Wilans. Twelve years since Rathmines was only known as an obscure village; it now forms a fine suburb, commencing at Portobello bridge, and extending in a continued line of handsome houses, with some pretty detached villas, for about one mile and a half. Among the most conspicuous are Rathmines Castle, the residence of J. T. Purser, Esq., a castellated mansion in tastefully disposed grounds; Wood Park, of T. P. Haves, Esq.; Fort-Royal Hall, of J. Rutherford, Esq., whence is obtained a splendid view of the bay of Dublin, and the Dublin and Wicklow mountains; Campobello, of M. Roache, Esq.; Fortfield, of P. Boylan, Esq.; Gortnasheelah, of the Rev. J. B. McCrea; Rathgar House, of the Hon. Captain Coote Hely Hutchinson; Bellwood House, of O. Willan, Esq.; Greenville, of J. Chadwick, Esq.; Rookerick, of Mrs. Codd; Chapel View, of G. Taylor, Esq.; Somerville, of Roderick Connor, Esq.; and Ashgrove, of G. Watson, Esq.

A handsome church was erected in 1828, at a cost of £2600, defrayed by the late Board of First Fruits; it is in the pointed style of architecture, with a square tower surmounted with a lofty spire: the design is an imitation of the ancient roofed crypts, the roof being a solid arch, and the walls and ceiling in the interior forming a continued vault: it is a chapel of ease to the united parishes of St. Peter and St. Kevin. In the vestry is a parochial library, presented by the Rev. S. W. Fox. On the Rathmines road is a neat R. C. chapel, which is the parochial chapel for the union or district of St. Mary and St. Peter, comprising parts of the Protestant parishes of St. Peter, St. Kevin, St. Catherine, and St. Mary Donnybrook: in addition, there are R. C. chapels at Milltown, and at the nunneries at Harold's Cross and Ranelagh. Here is a female day school, partly supported by subscription; and a spacious school-house was erected in 1835, by subscription, near the Rathmines chapel, in connection with the new Board of Education.

« Rathmichael | Index | Rathmolion »


Library Ireland Facebook