RATHKYRAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHKYRAN, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, near the road from Waterford to Carrick-on-Suir, 4 ½ miles (N. W.) from Waterford; containing 1408 inhabitants, of which number, 120 are in the village.

The parish comprises 4197 statute acres, and the village contains 22 houses.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of the cathedral of Kilkenny; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter.

The tithes amount to £203. 4. 4., of which £135. 9. 7. is payable to the dean and chapter, and £67. 4. 9 ¼ to the vicar. The church is in good repair.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and those of Aglishmartin, Portnescully, Poleroan, Clonmore, Ballytarsna, Tubrid, and part of Burnchurch, in which union are three chapels. At Moncoin is a school under the superintendence of the nuns, in which are about 250 girls; and in a private school are about 200 boys; there is also a Sunday school.

« Rathkenny | Index | Rathlackan »


Library Ireland Facebook