RATHKENNY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHKENNY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Slane, on the road from Moynalty to Drogheda, and close by the mail coach road from Dublin to Londonderry; containing 1995 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5430 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is of good quality; about two-thirds are arable and the rest pasture, except about 150 acres of bog. From the hill of Mullaha a view of seven counties is obtained. Here is a police station.

The seats are Mullaha, the residence of Brabazon Morris, Esq.; and Rathkenny House, of T. Hussey, Esq.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of T. Hussey, Esq.; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda.

The tithes amount to £384. 13. 6., of which £193. 2. 2 ½. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a small modern structure.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Slane: a large chapel has just been built, the front of which is faced with hewn stone; it is a neat Gothic edifice. Here is also a R. C. school, which it is in contemplation to place under the National Board. About 40 boys and 20 girls are taught in a private school. There are some remains of an ancient castle.

« Rathkenan | Index | Rathkyran »


Library Ireland Facebook