RATHJORDAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHJORDAN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Cahirconlish, on the road from Limerick to Hospital; containing 400 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1063 ¼ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; some of the land is remarkably good, but, being generally in small holdings, agriculture as a system is altogether unknown, and the land is cultivated in a very slovenly manner; the chief crops are oats and potatoes, but wheat is becoming more general than formerly. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union and corps of the precentorship of Emly: the tithes amount to £70.

In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Herbertstown and Hospital. Not far from the ruins of the old church is a holy well, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, much frequented by the peasantry, especially on the anniversary of the saint.

« Rathhendrick | Index | Rathkeale »


Library Ireland Facebook