RATHCOOL

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHCOOL, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 1 ¼ mile (N. W.) from Fethard; containing 1611 inhabitants. It comprises 5759 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; of the land, which is of superior quality, about two-thirds are in tillage, and the remainder, with the exception of about 150 acres of woodland, in pasture. There are several handsome seats, of which the principal are Derrylusker, that of Mrs. Palliser; Ardsalla, of Lieutenant-Colonel George Gough; Annsgift, of Major Gough; Rocklow, of Benj. Frend, Esq.; and Coolmore, of M. Villiers Sankey, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Fethard: the tithes amount to £365. About 20 children are educated in a private school. There are some remains of the castle of Slanestown, and near the demesne of Rocklow is a large moat or rath.

« Rathcool (Kilkenny) | Index | Rathcoole »


Library Ireland Facebook