RATHCLARIN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHCLARIN, a parish, in the Eastern Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 ½ miles (S. by E.) from Bandon; containing 2775 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the northern shore of Court McSherry bay and intersected by the small river Arigideen, which here falls into the bay, comprises about 5800 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3500 per annum. The land is in general good and under a profitable system of cultivation, producing abundant crops, of which the principal are wheat and potatoes; but, on the south side of the parish, several large fields have been covered with sand drifted from a small inlet, and rendered utterly unavailable for agricultural operations; the hedge-rows and fences have disappeared, and the deposits are progressively increasing.

The principal seats are Gortnahorna, the residence of J. M. Sealy, Esq.; Glenville, of R. B. Robinson, Esq.; Maryborough, of Major Broderick; Gortaglana, of Major M. Scott; Ballycallen Demesne, of H. Harris, Esq.; Ballycallen, of J. Harris, Esq.; Rathclarin Rectory, of the Rev. Thomas Waggett; and in the immediate vicinity of Kilbritain, Flaxfort, of the Rev. R. Taylor, P. P.; Riversdale House, of T. Bailey, Esq.; the residence of Francis Stowell, Esq.; and Harbourview, the bathing-lodge of J. Bowen, Esq., who has also built several neat cottages for the accommodation of visiters during the bathing season.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £650. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £100, is a very handsome residence; the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church is a small but very neat edifice, nearly in the centre of the parish, and was modernised and thoroughly repaired in 1835, at an expense of £314, defrayed by a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union, comprising also that of Kilbritain, and parts of the parishes of Ringrone and Ballymodan: the chapel, a large and neat edifice, is at Kilbritain. About 280 children are taught in four public schools, of which the parochial male school is supported by the rector and the Association for Discountenancing Vice; and the female school by Mr. Seely, who, in 1836, erected a very handsome school-house; there are also two private schools, in which are about 180 children, and a Sunday school. Near the church is a holy well covered over by a small building; and about two miles to the north-west are the ruins of the very ancient church of Cloundereen, supposed to have been founded by the Knights Templars in 1296.

« Rathcavan | Index | Rathcline »


Library Ireland Facebook