RATHBOYNE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHBOYNE, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, but chiefly in that of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. by E.) from Kells, on the road to Kilcock, and from Longford to Drogheda;. containing 1271 inhabitants. It comprises 3920 ¾ statute acres, nearly equally under grass and tillage; there is plenty of limestone. Ballybeg is the seat of T. O'Reilly, Esq.; and Charlesfort, of C. A. Tisdall, Esq. Mr. O'Reilly has a nursery of 100 statute acres, affording employment to about 80 persons. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Kells: the tithes amount to £276. 18. 5 ½.

In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ardbraccan; the chapel at Cortown is a handsome modern building, with a school contiguous. At Charlesfort is a school, the master of which is allowed £15 per ann., with a house and garden, and two tons of coal yearly, by C. A. Tisdall, Esq.; in these schools about 110 children are taught.

« Rathbourney | Index | Rathbran »


Library Ireland Facebook