RATHBEGGAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RATHBEGGAN, a parish, in the barony of RATOATH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Dunshaughlin, on the mail road from Dublin to Enniskillen; containing 282 inhabitants. It comprises 2901 ¼ statute acres of arable and pasture land of good quality, of which the proportions are nearly equal, and it contains some quarries of building stone. Rathbeggan House is the seat of John Standish, Esq.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Drogheda, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £161. 18. 9., of which £18. 9. 2. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; the glebe, comprising 7 ½ acres, is valued at £15 per annum. The glebe-house was built in 1817, by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £100, from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a neat modern edifice, towards the erection of which the same Board gave £800, in 1817.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ratoath.

« Rathbeagh | Index | Rathbin »


Library Ireland Facebook