From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
RAHUE, RATHUE, or RATHUGH, a parish, in the barony of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ¼ miles (S. by E.) from Kilbeggan, on the road to Philipstown; containing 1129 inhabitants. A monastery was founded here in the sixth century by St. Aid, who died in 588.
The parish comprises 3898 statute acres; the soil is in general light, and there is a small portion of bog; the state of agriculture is rather backward. A branch from the Grand canal at Ballycommon passes through it. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Ardnurcher; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire.
The tithes amount to £101. 10. 9 ½., of which £64. 12. 3 ½. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilbeggan; the chapel is at Little Ross, and there is a meeting-house for Baptists at Rathugh. About 70 children are educated in three private schools. At, Rathugh are two large raths, or moats, from which this place derives its name, and there is a third at a short distance. One of these, which is very remarkable, is supposed to have been the mausoleum of a native prince. At Ballybroider are vestiges of an old fortified house, and of another at Little Ross.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A story for the genuine booklover, penned by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St. John Featherstonehaugh.
FREE download 23rd - 27th May
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.