RAHAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RAHAN, or RAGHAN, a parish, in the barony of BALLYCOWAN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3 ½ miles (W.) from Tullamore; containing 4032 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Clodagh, comprises 9924 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land, though varying greatly in quality, is in general good and in a profitable state of cultivation. Limestone is quarried for building and for agricultural purposes, and there is an adequate quantity of bog. The only seat is the Lodge, the residence of J. O'Brien, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Fircall or Killaughey; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire.

The tithes amount to £209. 18. 10., of which £138. 9. 2 ½ is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. A portion of the parish, including 6613 statute acres, has been formed into a district parish, and a perpetual curacy instituted, of which the incumbent of Fircall is patron: the income of the curate is £107. 7. 8 ¼., arising from a stipend of £55. 7. 8 ¼. paid by the incumbent, £37 from Primate Boulter's Augmentation Fund, and 10 acres of glebe, valued at £15 per annum. The glebe-house was built in 1817, at an expense of £500, of which £450 was a gift and £50 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The church, which is annexed to the curacy, is a small edifice, erected in 1732, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £166 for its repair.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called Killina, and comprising also the parish of Lynally; there are chapels at Killina and Kilpatrick, and one in the parish of Lynally. There is also a chapel annexed to the R. C. college at Tullabeg, founded in 1818 for the education of young gentlemen, under a rector and seven professors belonging to the order of Jesus: and a Presentation convent. About 240 children are taught in four public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by subscription, and has a house and an acre of land rent-free, given by Mr. Acres; and a female school is supported by the ladies of the convent, who gratuitously instruct the children. There are also five private schools, in which are about 250 children.

« Rahan (Cork) | Index | Raharrow »


Library Ireland Facebook