RADDONSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

RADDONSTOWN, or BALRODDAN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DEECE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¾ mile (N. E.) from Kilcock, on one of the roads to Maynooth; containing 651 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1705 ½ statute acres of excellent land, about one-half of which is under tillage, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the system of agriculture is in an improved state, and there is no waste land; coal is found but is not worked.

The principal seats are Dollandstown, the residence of A. U. Gledstanes, Esq.; Newtown Prospect, of A. Coates, Esq.; Bridestream, of J. Coates, Esq.; Colgath, of Mrs. Tronson; and Raddonstown, of J. Morron, Esq. The Royal Canal from Dublin passes the southern extremity of the parish.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united from time immemorial to the rectories of Balfeighan, Gallow, Drumlargan, and Kilcloan, and in the patronage of the Crown.

The tithes amount to £120, and the gross value of the benefice is £485. 3. 7 ¼. per ann.: the glebe consists of half an acre near the church, which is an ancient plain edifice.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Batters-town: the chapel is a small edifice. The late Rev. W. Tew bequeathed £200, of which he appropriated the interest to the payment of a schoolmaster and schoolmistress for the gratuitous instruction of children; also £50 for annual distribution among the poor: no school has been yet established, and the money is lodged with the Commissioners of charitable bequests. There is a private school, in which are about 50 children, also a dispensary. Near Raddonstown is a perfect Danish fort.

« Racavan | Index | Rafran »


Library Ireland Facebook