POWERSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

POWERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Gowran, on the road from Kilkenny to Graig; containing 1718 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5508 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the greater portion is good arable and pasture land, about one-half being under tillage. On the lands of Curraghlane, yellow ochre of good quality is procured; and at Mount Loftus is an extensive quarry, in which is raised excellent granite of a beautiful light yellow colour, fine-grained and very compact; it may be raised in blocks of very large size, and is mostly used for gate pillars and for buildings. Mount Loftus, the seat of Sir Francis Hamilton Loftus, Bart., is situated on an eminence commanding an extensive view. A constabulary police force is stationed in the parish.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop: the tithes amount to £450. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £100 and a loan of £900, is a good residence; the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is a small neat edifice.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Graig; the chapel, a neat edifice, was erected about 10 years since, and a school-house has been recently built near it, for the completion of which the Board of National Education granted £100; about 170 children are taught in the school.

« Powerscourt | Index | Poyntz-Pass »


Library Ireland Facebook