PORTERIN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

PORTERIN, or PORTRUN, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 ½ miles (S. E.) from Roscommon, on the river Shannon: the population is returned with Killenvoy. It comprises 1133 ¾ statute acres, of which 1092, consisting of good arable and pasture land, are applotted under the tithe act; and it contains a quarry, of excellent limestone, which is extensively worked and burnt for lime. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Killenvoy; the rectory is impropriate in the Incorporated Society, to which and to the vicar the tithes, amounting to £36, are payable in equal portions.

In the R. C. divisions also it. is part of the union or district of Killenvoy. There are some remains of the old church in the burial-ground, which latter is very extensive.

« Portclare | Index | Portglenone »


Library Ireland Facebook