PORT

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

PORT, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ¾ miles (E.) from Dunleer, on the eastern coast; containing 809 inhabitants, of which number, 193 are in the village. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1803 ½ statute acres of tolerably good land, principally in tillage. Within its limits is Seafield, the neat and pleasantly situated residence of H. L. Brabazon, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Rathdrummin: the rectory is impropriate in the Crown.

The tithes amount to £145. 9. 4. the whole of which is received by the vicar, on his paying an annual quit-rent at the custom-house of Drogheda of £2. 19. 6., and there is a glebe of three acres, valued at £5 per annum.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dysert. About 290 children are educated in the national school at Boycetown; the school-house, a handsome and spacious building, was erected by subscription, to which Sir Patrick Bellew, Bart., liberally contributed.

« Poolboy | Index | Portadown »


Library Ireland Facebook