PETTIGOE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

PETTIGOE, a town, partly in the parish of DRUMKEERAN, barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, but chiefly in the parish of TEMPLECARNE, barony of TYRHUGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Kesh, on the road to Ballyshannon and Donegal; the population is returned with the respective parishes. It is situated on the united rivers of Pettigoe and Omna, which are here crossed by two bridges in their course to Lough Erne. It is a station of the constabulary police, and has a penny post to Kesh. Fairs are held on the 25th of each month, besides which there are three large markets (here called "Marga More") on the Wednesdays respectively preceding All Saints'-day, Christmas-day, and Lent. The parochial church of Templecarne, the R. C. chapel, and a meeting-house for Presbyterians of the Seceding Synod, are in the town.

« Peter's (St.) | Index | Phibsborough »


Library Ireland Facebook