PETER'S (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

PETER'S (ST.), a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, immediately adjoining the town of Wexford; containing, with the ecclesiastical parishes of Kerlogue and Maudlintown, 1445 inhabitants, of which number, 697 are within the town. The parish, which, as applotted under the tithe act, comprises 1246 statute acres, extends in a south-western direction from Wexford towards the mountain of Forth: the soil is good and the system of agriculture much improved.

The principal seats are Great Clonard, that of W. H. Kellett, Esq.; and Little Clonard, of Captain Richards, both embracing fine views of Wexford Harbour: Roseville, the property of Major Wilson, and Newbay, of the Hatton family, are also within the parish; and that part of the town within its limits contains the Franciscan convent, nunnery, R. C. chapel, Lancasterian school, fever hospital, and the distillery, which are respectively noticed under the head of Wexford. The ecclesiastical parishes of Kerlogue and Maudlintown have for all civil purposes long since merged into St. Peter's. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Wexford; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth.

The tithes amount to £91. 4., of which £10. 8. 4. is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the curate. There are no remains of the church.

In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Wexford. In the demesne of Great Clonard are the ruins of a castle or tower, near which Cromwell is said to have had an encampment: various coins of his period have been found on the spot.

« Pepperstown | Index | Pettigoe »


Library Ireland Facebook