PEPPERSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

PEPPERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ¾ miles (N. E.) from Fethard; containing 1156 inhabitants. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Fethard: the tithes amount to £250. The ruins of the church still remain. The ruined castle of Knockelly, consisting of a large and nearly perfect square tower of superior masonry, forms a conspicuous object in the surrounding scenery: it is encompassed by a strong wall, about 30 feet high, with bastions at the angles, and part of the enclosed area is now occupied by a farm-house. There is also an ancient fort or moat within the limits of the parish.

« Patrick's Well (St.) | Index | Peter's (St.) »


Library Ireland Facebook