PATRICK'S WELL (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

PATRICK'S WELL (ST.), a village, partly in the parishes of KILLELONEHAN and MUNGRETT, but chiefly in that of KILKEEDY, barony of PUBBLEBRIEN, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. W.) from Limerick, on the road to Rathkeale; containing 515 inhabitants. This place derives its name from a well dedicated to St. Patrick, and still held in great veneration by the peasantry, over which has recently been placed a figure of the tutelar saint, rudely carved in stone. The village consists of one long and irregular street, and contains 89 houses, most of which are old thatched buildings, and the remainder neat, well built cottages roofed with slate and of recent erection; the mail from Limerick to Tralee passes daily through it, and a penny post to the former place has been lately established. Fairs are held on Feb. 26th, May 28th, June 16th, Oct. 14th and 20th, and Dec. 18th, principally for cattle and pigs; petty sessions once a fortnight; and a constabulary police force is stationed here. In the neighbourhood are several large and handsome houses with well-wooded demesnes, and numerous good farm-houses with thriving orchards, producing abundance of apples from which excellent cider is made.

« Patrick's Rock (St.) | Index | Pepperstown »


Library Ireland Facebook