PALMERSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

PALMERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of NEWCASTLE, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Dublin, on the road to Lucan, and on the river Liffey; containing 1533 inhabitants. It comprises 1465 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3594 per annum. Near the village, which is irregularly built, and in which the dwellings are of a humble character, there was an hospital for lepers, previously to the Reformation. At the commencement of the present century here were extensive printing-works, large iron-works, oil and dye stuff mills, and wash-mills; lead and copper works have been established for 16 years; there are large cotton-mills, employing about 120 persons, and a flour-mill on the Liffey, which bounds the parish on the north.

A fair for the sale of cattle and horses takes place on Aug. 21st. The city police have a station near Chapelizod bridge. Palmerstown House, erected by the late Rt. Hon. John Hely Hutchinson, Secretary of State for Ireland, and Provost of Trinity College, Dublin, now the seat of his grandson, the Earl of Donoughmore, is a spacious mansion on elevated ground, commanding most extensive and rich views; besides which there are several pleasing villas, including Riversdale, the seat of General Sir Guy Campbell, Bart.; Brook Lawn, of M. Hackett, Esq.; Palmerstown, of Major Wilcox; and Bellgrove, of Major Watts. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Chapelizod: the tithes amount to £170.

In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union of Lucan, Palmerstown, and Clondalkin, and contains a chapel; the parish priest is rural dean over his own union and those of Maynooth, Celbridge, and Saggard. There are two schools, in which about 150 children are taught. On the townland of Irishtown are the remains of an old castle, clothed with ivy, near which coins and bullets have been found; and at Cruise river a battle is said to have been fought between the Danes and the Irish. This place gives the title of Viscount Palmerston to the family of Temple.

« Palmerstown | Index | Park-Gate »


Library Ireland Facebook