OYSTER-ISLAND

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

OYSTER-ISLAND, in the parish of KILLASPICBROWN, barony of UPPER CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Sligo: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated in the Pool of Sligo, and is remarkable for the purity of its herbage, and for restoring diseased cattle. Its ancient name was Inishroras, and it is enumerated among the lands granted by Charles II. to the Earl of Strafford and Thomas Radcliff, Esq., in 1666.

« Oylgate | Index | Pace-Kilbride »


Library Ireland Facebook