OWNING

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

OWNING, or BEAULIEU, also called BEWLEY, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ½ miles (N.) from Carrick-on-Suir, and near the confines of the county of Tipperary; containing 1281 inhabitants, and comprising 3652 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2867 per annum. The village comprises about 12 houses. The parish is in the diocese of Ossory, the rectory being one of the four denominations constituting the union of Fiddown: the tithes amount to £180.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Templeorum, and contains a chapel, About 140 children are educated in two national schools; there is also a Sunday school.

« Owey | Index | Owregare »


Library Ireland Facebook