OWENDUFFE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

OWENDUFFE, or AWINDUFFE, a parish, in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 ½ miles (S. W.) from Taghmon, on the road to Ballyhack; containing 2348 inhabitants. it is situated on a stream called the Awenduffe or Blackwater, which is tributary to the Bannow or Scar river, and separates the baronies of Shelburne and Shelmalier; and it comprises 7799 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. At Yoletown are two flour-mills, worked by the Blackwater, and there are also two bleach-greens on the banks of that river. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate cure, forming part of the union of Tintern: the rectory is impropriate in Caesar Colclough, Esq., to whom the tithes, amounting to £340, are payable. The church is in ruins.

In the R. C. divisions also it is in the union or district of Tintern. About 100 children are educated in three private schools.

« St. Owen | Index | Owey »


Library Ireland Facebook