OGULLA

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

OGULLA, a parish, in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N.) from Roscommon, on the road to Boyle, containing, with the village of Tulsk (which is separately described), 1832 inhabitants. This parish comprises 4862 ½ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is principally excellent grazing pasture; there is very little bog. Petty sessions for the district and fairs are held at Tulsk. Cargins is the seat of D. Kelly, Esq.; and Toomona, of Peter O'Connor, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union and corps of the deanery of Elphin: the tithes amount to £91. 4. 6.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilcooly, also called Ballybrogh. Here is a private school, in which 20 boys and 10 girls are taught.

« Ogonnilloe | Index | Oldbridge »


Library Ireland Facebook