ODDER

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ODDER, a parish, in the barony of SKREEN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ½ miles (N. N. W.) from Dunshaughlin; comprising 1204 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Towards the close of the twelfth century, a nunnery was founded here for Regular Canonesses of the order of St. Augustine by the family of Barnwall, of which some remains still exist: several cells of nuns in Meath were annexed to this house. It is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is entirely impropriate in the Misses Blundell: the tithes amount to £40.

« O'Brien's-Bridge | Index | Odogh »


Library Ireland Facebook