O'BRENNAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

O'BRENNAN, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Tralee, on the old road to Castle-Island; containing 847 inhabitants. It comprises 6543 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, the greater part of which consists of coarse mountain pasture and bog, mostly reclaimable. A portion of the mountain tract is now being reclaimed and brought into cultivation by John Cuthbert, Esq., who has a large property in this parish. Here is a large flour-mill belonging to Mr. John Mac Carthy. The principal residence is O'Brennan, that of Mr. Edward Gorham.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £68. 16. 2 ½. The church is in ruins; the Protestant parishioners attend that of Tralee.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballymacelligott. Within its limits is the entrance to the principal caverns in the limestone strata in the adjoining parish of Ballymacelligott, which see.

« Oaghill | Index | O'Brien's-Bridge »


Library Ireland Facebook