NURNEY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NURNEY, a parish, in the barony of CARBERY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Enfield, on the road to Edenderry; containing 685 inhabitants, and comprising 1748 statute acres, The principal residence is Williamstown House, that of J. Williams, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, forming part of the union of Carbery: the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire.

The tithes amount to £66. 16. 0 ¾., of which £44. 10. 8 ½., is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar.

In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union of Cadamstown: the chapel is a good plain building. At Cloghrike is a national school, in which about 100 children are educated.

« Nurney (Carlow) | Index | Nurney (Kildare) »


Library Ireland Facebook