NOHOVAL

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NOHOVAL, a parish, in the barony of KINNALEA, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (E.) from Kinsale, on the old road to Robert's-Cove; containing 1260 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the southern coast, and comprises 2439 ¼ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1537 per annum. The land is generally good, though the soil is light; about four-fifths are under tillage, the remainder being rough pasture and furze brakes: the manure chiefly used is sea sand, landed at the bays along the coast, all of which are very much exposed and dangerous. The incumbent, the Rev. W. R. Townsend, has written a practical treatise on agriculture, which he has gratuitously distributed among the working farmers, hoping to improve the system of husbandry, but hitherto he has not witnessed the desired result, as the old system is everywhere followed. At Nohoval Cove are some extensive slate quarries, the property of W. Whitney, Esq., whence great quantities are shipped to Cork, the boats returning with limestone, burnt generally here for the purposes of building. Not far distant, on the same estate, are some veins of manganese, in a state of decomposition, but, from the numerous springs here impregnated with this mineral, it is quite evident that a great body of the ore is deposited in the immediate vicinity.

Very clear and beautiful crystals of quartz are scattered among the soil in most parts of the parish. The Cove is a romantic retreat, at the termination of a deep winding glen, in which many thousands of young trees have lately been planted, which, if they thrive, will form a great ornament to this barren spot: the entrance to the Cove is marked by three pyramidal rocks of considerable height. In calm weather, coal, culm, and limestone may be landed here, but in the winter scarcely a vessel ever ventures into so dangerous a place. At Dunbogue is a small well sheltered cove, having a good landing-place. The village consists of 25 small houses. Nohoval House is the property of W. Hungerford, Esq.; the Lodge, the residence of W. Whitney, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. W. R Townsend. It is a rectory and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Cork, the rectory forming part of the union of St. Peter's and of the corps of the archdeaconry of St. Finbarr, Cork; the perpetual cure is united with Kilmonogue, and in the gift of the Archdeacon.

The tithes amount to £215, of which £140 is payable to the archdeacon, and £75 to the curate, who has also the glebe-house and land. The glebe-house is a neat and commodious edifice, erected by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £50, in 1817) from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 2 ½ a. 0r. 4p. The church is a small, but very neat, edifice, without tower, spire, or bell; it is furnished with a small, fine-toned organ.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Tracton: the chapel is a small building in the village. The parochial school is endowed with two acres of land by the rector: there are also a private school and a Sunday school, the latter under the superintendence of the Protestant clergyman. The most prominent headland in the parish is Barry's Point, where formerly a very strong castle stood, which was taken down during the late war to build a signal tower, now also in ruins.

« Nogheval | Index | Nohoval-Daly »