NICHOLAS (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NICHOLAS (ST.), a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 ½ miles (N. N. E.) from Wexford; containing 311 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the southeastern coast, and comprises 1169 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Ardcolme: the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth.

The tithes amount to £66. 9. 9 ¼., of which £39. 1. 9 ½. is payable to the impropriator, and £27.7. 1 11 ¾. to the incumbent. There are no remains of the old church; that of the union is at Castlebridge.

In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Castlebridge.

« Newtown-Trim | Index | Nicholastown »


Library Ireland Facebook