NEWTOWN-SANDES

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWTOWN-SANDES, a village, in the parish of MURHIR, barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Tarbert, on the road from Listowel to Glin; containing 72 houses and 375 inhabitants. It gives name to the R. C. district, comprising the parishes of Murhir and Knockanure, each containing a chapel: that of Murhir, situated in the village, is a large thatched edifice, which it is in contemplation to rebuild. Near the village is a large school-house, erected at the expense of the Rev. J. Long, P.P., and presented by him to the National Board of Education, which allows £12 per annum for the support of the school.

« Newtown-Platten | Index | Newtown-Saville »


Library Ireland Facebook