NEWTOWN-LENNAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWTOWN-LENNAN, a parish, partly in the barony of SLIEVARDAGH, and partly in that of IFFA and OFFA EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ¾ miles (N.) from Carrick-on-Suir, on the high road to Kilkenny; containing 1931 inhabitants. This parish is hounded on the east by the river Lennan, by which it is separated from the county of Kilkenny, and the river Suir flows within a mile of its south-eastern boundary: it comprises 5670 statute acres of good land, of which more than two-thirds are under tillage, and the remainder in pasture. The system of agriculture is improving, there is neither waste land nor bog. That portion which is within the barony of Slievardagh is separated from the other by a chain of hills running east and west, and cultivated nearly to their summits, which are planted with trees. Limestone of the finest quality is found in great abundance, and is burnt for the supply of the country for many miles round; and in the north-eastern part of the parish are extensive slate quarries in active operation; the refuse, together with that of the limestone, is used in making and repairing the roads. There are strong indications of coal, and a few years since attempts were made to procure it, but the works were impeded by water breaking into the shafts, and were afterwards discontinued on the death of the proprietor, the late Edmond Power, Esq. Cregg, the seat of T. E. Lalor, Esq., is a handsome residence, erected about 10 years since, and situated in tastefully disposed grounds.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Clonegam; the tithes amount to £441. 9. 5.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Carrick-on-Suir: the chapel is a neat edifice in good repair. There are two private schools, in which are about 60 children. There are ruins of the churches of Newtown-Lennan and Athenry, to each of which a large cemetery is attached; in the latter are two stone crosses, with inscriptions in the Erse character.

« Newtown-Hamilton | Index | Newtown-Limavady »


Library Ireland Facebook