NEWTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWTOWN, a village, in the parish of SHANDRUM, barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 ½ miles (W.) from Charleville, on the road to Newcastle; containing 31 houses and 175 inhabitants. A car to and from Rathkeale to Cork passes daily through the village, which is a station of the constabulary police, and has a fair on the 25th of Sept. Newtown House is the seat of Robert Courtney, Esq.—See SHANDRUM.

« Newry Antiquities | Index | Newtown (Kildare) »


Library Ireland Facebook