NEWTOWN-GORE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWTOWN-GORE, a village, in the parish and barony of CARRIGALLEN, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. E.) from Ballinamona, on the road to Killeshandra; containing 40 houses and 207 inhabitants. Here is a small meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists, in which a school is held. Garadice lake and several others are situated in the vicinity. There are some vestiges of the ancient abbey of Moy, and close to the village is a large druidical altar. About 2 ½ miles to the south are the ruins of the castle of Longfield, which, from the gable that still remains, appears to have been of strong but rude masonry: it was taken possession of by Major Martin Armstrong, after the battle of Cavan.

« Newtown-Girley | Index | Newtown-Hamilton »


Library Ireland Facebook