NEWTOWN-CONYNGHAM

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWTOWN-CONYNGHAM, a village, in the parish of ALL SAINTS, barony of RAPHOE, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 65 miles (W.) from Londonderry, on the road to Letterkenny: the population is returned with the parish. It consists of a few scattered houses, situated near Lough Swilley, and has a penny post to Londonderry, a station of the constabulary police, a fair on the 29th of October, and a chapel belonging to the R. C. district of Lagan. According to Ware, a friary once existed at Bellaghan, of which there are no vestiges.

« Newtown-Clonbun | Index | Newtown-Crommelin »


Library Ireland Facebook