NEWPORT

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWPORT, or ST. JOHN'S NEWPORT, a post-town, in the parish of KILVOLANE, barony of OWNEY and ARRA, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (E.) from Limerick, and 86 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road to Limerick; containing 852 inhabitants. This town is pleasantly situated on a considerable stream that falls into the river at Castle Troy, near Mount Shannon, a little below the village of Anacotty; and contains 163 houses, most of which are neatly built. It is the property of Sir Edmund Waller, Bart., whose seat, Castle Waller, is in the immediate vicinity. There are barracks for two companies of infantry, to which purpose the buildings of the old charter school have been appropriated. Fairs are held on April 27th, May 29th, July 21st, and Oct. 23rd, which last is a very large fair for bullocks; a constabulary police force is stationed in the town, and petty sessions are held every Tuesday.

The environs are pleasant, and in the vicinity are several handsome seats, which are noticed in the parishes within which they are situated. The parish church, situated in the town, is a neat edifice, to which a handsome octagonal tower was added in 1823, and towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £410: it contains a handsome monument, erected in 1825, by Lady Waller, to her late husband, Sir Robert Waller, Bart. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel, a neat edifice; and in the barrack-yard is a school, to the support of which the Incorporated Society grants £20 per annum, and the rector and Lady Waller present a donation of £10 each; there is also a dispensary. The horns of a moose deer were found here in 1826. Newport gives the inferior title of baron in the peerage of Ireland to the Earl of Roden.

« Newport (Mayo) | Index | New-Quay »


Library Ireland Facebook