NEWMILLS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWMILLS, a village, in the parish of TULLANISKIN, barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Dungannon, on the road to Cookstown; containing 105 inhabitants. It derives its name (formerly Tullaniskin) from two corn-mills erected here, in 1758, by the proprietor of the adjoining lands; and in 1831 comprised 20 houses, most of which are indifferently built. Here is the parochial church, a large and handsome edifice, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; and nearly adjoining it is the parochial school, with a residence for the master, endowed with a portion of the glebe land, comprising one acre. The ruins of the ancient church adjoin the present edifice.—See TULLANISKIN.

« Newmarket-on-Fergus | Index | Newport (Mayo) »


Library Ireland Facebook