From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
NANTINAN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. E.) from Askeaton, on the road to Rathkeale; containing 2869 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the eastern bank of the river Deel, comprises 3814 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land in some parts is of good quality, but generally rocky and covered with great numbers of stones, which greatly retard its cultivation and improvement, except by the resident gentry and the more opulent farmers.
The principal seats are Nantinan House, that of T. H. Royse, Esq., on the lands of which very interesting improvements have been made at a great expense; Stoneville, of H. Massy, Esq.; and Ballinvirick, of T. Royse, Esq., on all of which great improvements are in progress. Near the church is a spacious green, on which fairs are held on July 10th, Aug. 5th, and Nov. 12th, for cattle, sheep, pigs, and pedlery.
The living is a rectory and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Limerick; the rectory was united at a period unknown to the rectories and vicarages of Kilfenny and Loughill, the rectories of Shanagolden, Knocknegaul, and Dromdeely, and the vicarage of Morgans, together constituting the union of Nantinan, and the corps of the precentorship of the cathedral of Limerick, in the patronage of the Bishop, who is also patron of the perpetual curacy.
The tithes amount to £461. 10. 9 ½. per annum: the glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £450, and a loan of £50, in 1819, is a handsome residence; the glebe comprises six acres, purchased by the same Board; and the gross value of the benefice is £1071. 12. 3. The stipend of the perpetual curate is £100, of which £75 is paid by the rector, and £25 from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The church, towards the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £123, is a neat edifice, in the early English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted with an octagonal spire; it was rebuilt in 1817, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £800.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Stonehall and Cappagh. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. About 30 children are taught in the parochial school, which is chiefly supported by Lord Southwell and the rector. Near the Green is a well, dedicated to St. James, enclosed by ancient massive stone walls, the water of which issues from a limestone rock; it is much resorted to on festivals by the peasantry of the neighbourhood. Numerous forts are scattered over the parish, of which that of Feigbeg is the most curious.
Charlotte Milligan Fox, sister of the poet Alice Milligan, was a founding member of the Irish Folk Song Society and an indefatigable field collector of Irish traditional music. Her singularly important work on Irish haprers is here presented for the twenty-first century reader. This edition of Annals offers a much greater number of illustrations than were included in the original 1911 publication, a full biographical introduction, an extensive bibliography of the writings of Milligan Fox and an appendix discussing the variant texts of Arthur O’Neills Memoirs.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.