From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
MULLAVILLY, or MULLAGHVILLY, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Tanderagee, on the road from Newry to Portadown; containing 6593 inhabitants. This district comprises 6880 acres, generally remarkably good, and under an excellent system of agriculture: the Brachy bog, containing about 350 acres, is very valuable for fuel. The manor court of Tannybalton was formerly held here, but it has been for some time discontinued. The principal proprietors are Viscount Mandeville and the Count de Salis. Near the church is Mullavilly House, the residence of J. Atkinson, Esq.; the glebe-house is the residence of the Rev. Maxwell Carpendale; and there are several other very good houses, the residences of farmers.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Chancellor of Armagh. The income of the perpetual curate amounts to £94. 4. 7 ½ ., of which £69. 4. 7 ½. is paid by the rector of Kilmore, and £25 out of Primate Boulter's Augmentation Fund. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £50, in 1812, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe consists of 10 acres, valued at £12. 8. per annum. Prior to the year 1755, this formed part of the parish of Kilmore, but in that year seventeen townlands were set apart to form the district of Mullavilly, shortly after which the church was erected, at the cost of Primate Robinson, but it was not consecrated till 1785; it was considerably enlarged in 1820, at an expense of £738 British, of which sum £387 was a loan from the late Board of First Fruits; it has lately been repaired by aid of a grant of £137 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is a handsome cruciform building, with a square embattled tower at the west front, surmounted by a low spire.
In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmore: the chapel is a small building, at Mullavilly. At Vinecash there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class; and another at Ahoney, belonging to the Seceding Synod, of the second class. About 650 children are educated in seven public schools, of which one at Mullavilly is on Erasmus Smith's foundation, and has a large and handsome school-house, erected by the Count de Salis, at an expense of £600, on two acres of land with which he endowed it; one at Mullahead was built and is supported by Lord and Lady Mandeville, and conducted on the moral agency system; and those at Ballintaggart, Derryhall, and Ballyloghan are supported by the Misses Richardson. There are also two private schools, in which about 80 children are educated; and six Sunday schools, one of which is supported by Miss Richardson. Attached to the school at Mullahead are a lending library, and a loan and clothing fund, of the benefits of which every necessitous tenant on the estate partakes.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
This is a story for the genuine booklover, penned by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St. John Featherstonehaugh.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.