From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
MOUNT-NUGENT, or DALYSBRIDGE, a post-town, in the parish of KILBRIDE, barony of CLONMAHON, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 11 miles (S. S. E.) from Cavan, and 50 ¾ (N. W. by W.) from Dublin, on the road from Oldcastle to Granard; containing 171 inhabitants. It consists of 29 houses, the parish church, a R. C. chapel, and a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation. Petty sessions are held here every third Saturday; and there is a constabulary police station. Fairs are held on June 1st and Oct. 21st. It is near Lough Sheelin, which is very large, extending to Finae, in Westmeath, where it communicates with Lough Inny, through which its waters find their way to the Shannon: in this lake are several small islands, on one of which are the ruins of a church and castle. Contiguous to its shores, at Kilrogy, near Glan, is the seat of Mrs. Dallas; and on its northern side are several gentlemen's residences, among which are Arley, the beautiful cottage of Lord Farnham; and Fortland, the residence of T. Gorlin, Esq. On the opposite shore the ground is elevated and well planted; and the view of the whole, comprehending the ruins of Ross castle, is bounded by hills of considerable magnitude, among which the most remarkable is the Ben of Fore, above the village of that name, in the county of Westmeath. The lake covers 2000 Irish acres, being 8 Irish miles in length, and, in parts, 2 or 3 wide.